Thursday, August 25, 2011

Potato Salad

Finally! Another recipe post! I haven’t done one of those in quite awhile, but I will be rolling out at least three in the next few days because the other day I spent the whole afternoon cooking as I had invited a friend over for supper. I made three different things and I took pictures the whole time so I could blog about them. The recipe I’ll post first is a potato salad recipe. This is based on my mom’s suggestions for ingredients, but I didn’t have any exact measurements.
August 069
As long as you follow my approximate guesses you’ll be fine, and as usual, if you want to add more or less of anything that’s just fine.
You’ll need to start by making the dressing.
I used about 3/4 cup of plain salad dressing as the base.
I added a couple tablespoons of mustard to that.
I also grated in about half an onion.
I added about half a teaspoon each of salt and pepper.
Then I added between one and two tablespoons each of vinegar and sugar.
August 046
If you end up with something that looks like this you’re probably fine.
August 045
You’ll need about 6 hard boiled eggs
August 060
And about 3 stalks of chopped celery.
August 063
The next thing I added was home-made lime pickles which I chopped up really fine. I did maybe a quarter cup. You probably won’t have these on hand, but sweet relish or chopped bread and butter pickles would probably make for acceptable substitutes.
August 067
Grate in the eggs, add the celery and pickles to the dressing, and mix it  all together.
August 068
The final and most important ingredient is the potatoes. I’m not sure how much I added. Mom boiled extra the Sunday before to make this salad. I’m going to guess that there was at least 6 cups here. Usually I would recommend using peeled potatoes, but these are freshly dug new potatoes from our garden, so the skins are really good. If you’re using store bought potatoes, go ahead and peel them.
Mix in the potatoes and it’s done.
August 070
For not having any exact measurements, this salad turned out very well, and tasted pretty much like Mom’s. This salad is one of the favorite in our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment