Thursday, December 29, 2016

Fantasia

Fantasia is my favorite movie. It has been one of my favorites since I was a kid, and a lot of that has to do with my grandpa. Earlier this semester I really thought about why I love the movie so much, and I turned it into one of my poems for class, which I am sharing here.
Fantasia 
Before I was born,
My grandpa was many things.
A sailor in the Navy,
A teacher, mail carrier, father. 
By the time I came around,
He was just my grandpa.
He didn’t do much,
Except watch basketball and opera.
I wasn’t interested in either. 
One day he bought a video.
An animated film.
Something my grandparents never had.
This was the only one he’d ever buy.
Fantasia. 
Grandpa got the movie for its artistic merit,
Mainly the classical music,
I loved it for the dinosaurs. 
My grandpa didn’t do much with us,
He had heart problems,
He couldn’t play like other grandparents.
But we did watch Fantasia. 
I’m not sure how much of an impression,
It made on my brothers,
But Fantasia sure left an impression on me. 
It is the reason I love animation,
It is the reason I love classical music,
It’s probably even the reason I love dinosaurs. 
I would go so far to say,
Fantasia is one of the things,
That made me, me. 
Grandpa died earlier this year.
He’d been sick awhile,
So it wasn’t a shock.
It was still sad though. 
Last week grandma asked me,
If there was anything I wanted,
Something to remember grandpa by.
I didn’t even have to think about it.
There was just one thing that grandpa left,
That I knew I’d want. 

No comments:

Post a Comment