Monday, January 27, 2020

Jonathan Q. Randall


So yes, I'm still around. My blog posts seem to have been few and far between last year, but with work, and my internship, and my own podcast, I didn't have much time for doing a whole lot of much else.

However, I have sort of gotten back into photography, a little bit, by way of a whole new project that I've been working on since August, and I'm having a lot of fun with it. I haven't shared anything about that project on my blog yet though, so I figured now was as good a time as any.

It all started at my cousin Shaina's wedding. Or more accurately, her rehearsal dinner. I was joking with Rachel and Alex about terrible food photography on Instagram, and said it would be hilarious if someone made an account dedicated just to that.

And then for some reason I decided that that someone should be me.

So I created an alter-ego, Jonathan Q Randall, and did this.



A post shared by Jonathan Q. Randall (@jonqrandall) on

And I immediately changed my idea to encompass just "Bad photography in general.



A post shared by Jonathan Q. Randall (@jonqrandall) on

And I also decided to experiment with faux inspirational good(?) photography. Basically trying to be weird and pretentious at the same time.



A post shared by Jonathan Q. Randall (@jonqrandall) on

I do still try to remember the original idea for the blog from time to time.



A post shared by Jonathan Q. Randall (@jonqrandall) on



A post shared by Jonathan Q. Randall (@jonqrandall) on

I also like to photograph animals.



A post shared by Jonathan Q. Randall (@jonqrandall) on 


A post shared by Jonathan Q. Randall (@jonqrandall) on 


A post shared by Jonathan Q. Randall (@jonqrandall) on 

Once in awhile I like doing random video posts. Like when I waited outside in the middle of the night for a screech owl to go off, so I could pretend to be terrified.



A post shared by Jonathan Q. Randall (@jonqrandall) on

Or when I filmed myself walking down eight floors worth of stairs for no reason.


Or feigned excitement over going up on floor on the elevator.


I also like taking weird "Selfies" which may or may not be of my face.



A post shared by Jonathan Q. Randall (@jonqrandall) on


A post shared by Jonathan Q. Randall (@jonqrandall) on

And sometimes I just like to do random experiments.


I also enjoy using my nephews as muses.



A post shared by Jonathan Q. Randall (@jonqrandall) on


A post shared by Jonathan Q. Randall (@jonqrandall) on

Sometimes I'll just see something really random that will inspire me to take a picture.



A post shared by Jonathan Q. Randall (@jonqrandall) on

Sometimes I'll just have a weird idea for a photo project too. Like these random giant faucets in all the stairwells at work.



A post shared by Jonathan Q. Randall (@jonqrandall) on

Or the floors at work.



A post shared by Jonathan Q. Randall (@jonqrandall) on

I also have some weird story-lines(?) that I come back to every once in awhile. Like that my character plays Pokémon Go, but calls them Poket Mans, and takes weird pictures with them from time to time.



A post shared by Jonathan Q. Randall (@jonqrandall) on 

And I have a thing with the mascot of Iowa State University, in which I have reimagined him as a wrathful deity, beloved and feared by the residents of Ames.


I have a lot more of this kind of stuff on instagram, and if you're interested, you can find it at
https://www.instagram.com/jonqrandall

I also started a twitter account for the character, which doesn't get updated quite as often as the instagram, but I do try to check in there once or twice a week.
https://twitter.com/JonQRandall

I also started a byte account, which is a new platform, which is also basically the reincarnation of vine. I'm not sure what I'll do there, but I'm experimenting with it for now. That is just an app though, so I don't think I can even link you here. But if on the off chance you actually use byte, you can find me @jonqrandall, like everywhere else.

Anyway, that's what I've been up to recently. That's not ALL I've been up to, but I have to save something for future posts... :p

No comments:

Post a Comment