Sunday, October 6, 2013

A Twist Ending! 5!

Recently I've been thinking a lot about how racially diverse it is here in Ames, and how, back home, Almost everyone is white, and those that aren't (Mainly Hispanics) are quite often looked upon rather unfavorably. (To put it nicely.) I've wondered to myself what those people back home would think if they moved to Ames, and had a lot more people than just Mexicans to live with.

I was thinking about this again tonight at work, and it reminded me of an encounter I had with a man back in Harlan, who was not rude to me, personally, but he said something rather despicable to me, such that, I didn't even know how to respond at the time. Suddenly, I had another "Twist Ending" story writing itself in my head, and I couldn't wait to get home and write it out.

~

I counted out the two men's change as they chatted to each other in their native tongue.
"Have a nice day," I said, handing it to them with a smile. As they left, continuing their conversation in Spanish, an overweight, middle aged man eyed them warily and set his groceries on my counter.

"I hate Mexicans!" He exclaimed as soon as they were out of earshot. Then he burst out laughing. "Oh, did I say that out loud?" He laughed some more. "Better be careful! You can get in trouble for talking like that these days!" I didn't even know what to say to him at that point. Thankfully he had only a few items and the transaction was brief. He continued to snicker to himself as he left the store.

As he walked up the parking lot, he heard a far off, muffled "Boom!" followed by a high pitched whistle. It sounded almost like a firework had been launched. "What was that?" he wondered to himself. As he walked, he realized the whistle was getting louder and more irritating. He looked around but couldn't see anything. The sound intensified, and the man began to get nervous. The sound kept on getting louder and louder, and the man, panicking, began to run. The sound kept coming until it was almost deafening. Suddenly the man realized that it was directly above his head, and he stopped running to look up, just in time to be crushed by an enormous flying burrito.

No comments:

Post a Comment