Friday, March 22, 2013

A Twist Ending

Last week I entered a writing contest. The winner was announced today, and it wasn't me, but I don't really care. I had fun writing the story anyway, so I'm sharing it here. The theme of the contest was "Bump Off Your Enemies." And you were supposed to do just that, in 200 words or less. In your story, of course. No real murders allowed. :)

I couldn't think of any real enemies, but this one particularly nasty customer from the store where I work came to mind immediately, so I decided that he would be the literary victim in my story. Everything in the story actually happened. Right up until the little old lady enters the scene. After that it was what I WANTED to have happened. Apparently I'm very petty. :)

~

“Have a good day!” I said to the man with a smile, handing him his receipt.

“How about a thank you!” he shot back. “It’s none of your business what kind of a day I have!”

I couldn’t tell if he was joking or not. Some of my customers have a very odd sense of humor.

“Thank you.” I said, smiling.

“And don’t you forget it!” He wasn’t joking.

Unfortunately I did forget it. A week later he came through my line again, and once again I wished him a nice day.

“What did I tell you? Thank you!” He turned to my manager, “Why don’t you teach this guy some manners!” He was fairly shouting now.

Suddenly he was blindsided upside the face with an enormous purse. It was a tiny, grandmotherly-aged woman. “Shut your face! Why don’t you grow up?”

“WHAT?!” The man screamed.

“You heard me!” the elderly woman said. “Grow up, you cantankerous infant!”

Enraged, the man turned fifty shades of red. Suddenly, without warning, a huge chunk of meteorite exploded through the roof of the store, leaving a smoldering crater where the man had been standing.

Well,” said the little old lady, “Good riddance.”

No comments:

Post a Comment