Friday, November 16, 2012

Best Movie of the Year

Monday night my friends and I all met for supper, then walked to the theater to see Wreck-It Ralph. We've been planning to see this movie for a long time now, and I am happy to say that none of us were disappointed. There was something for everyone in the movie.

I can't believe I'm going to say this about a non-Pixar movie, but Wreck It Ralph is the best movie I have seen all year. I loved Brave, but Wreck It Ralph was better.

When I first saw the trailer for this movie, I had high expectations. It looked very funny, and it was a Disney movie. Disney has been making a lot of great movies lately, so anything they put out I automatically expect more from than your average movie.

When when the first critics started seeing it and giving it good reviews, my expectations were raised even more. Then the animation blogs I follow started giving their reviews, and they were all reporting that it was so much better then they had expected it to be. By the time I got to the movie I was just hoping I wouldn't be let down because I was expecting an awesome movie.

It FAR surpassed my expectations. I was so surprised by how great this movie was! I don't usually see movies in the theater twice, but if I was given the opportunity, and I had time around my school/work schedule, I would not even hesitate to see it again.

From watching the trailer, the story seems pretty simple and straightforward. A "Bad Guy" video game character, Wreck-It Ralph, decides that he doesn't like being the bad guy any more, so he abandons his game to find a new one in which he can become a hero. Not too long after the movie gets going, it becomes pretty clear that there is a lot more happening in this movie than just Ralph's story.

The entire movie takes place inside an arcade. All the video games are connected to a central station, and the characters are able to travel into other games to visit, so long as the arcade is closed, and no one is watching. Sort of like a digital version of Toy Story.

Eventually Ralph ends up inside a racing game where he befriends a "Glitch" a character that was apparently not even supposed to exist. The glitch wants to be a part of her game but is being mercilessly tormented by all the legitimate characters. Ralph steps in and helps the glitch, but soon realizes that there is more going on behind the scenes than anyone in this game realizes.

I can't give away any more in case you decide to watch it for yourself, and you really, really should, but suffice it to say that this movie's story is so much richer than your average animated movie. It came as no surprise that during the end credits, the animators thanked the team at Pixar for helping them work on the story. No wonder it was so good! Pixar always puts story first, so having them work on this movie, even though it was not a Pixar film, was an extremely good idea.

As I've said before, I love redemption stories. I love it when a "Bad Guy" becomes a "Good Guy," and at its core, that is what this movie is. The fact that the story is so much deeper than that is just the icing on the cake. There are so many twists, turns, and surprises, that I can't see how anyone could go into this movie and leave, NOT loving it.

There is so much more I want to say about the movie, but to do so would spoil way too much plot information. The only thing left that I CAN say is go see it!

No comments:

Post a Comment