Sunday, May 13, 2012

Graphic Design

This semester I had two graphic design classes. The first was an online class called Graphic Design. It covered Adobe's big three design programs, Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign. It was my worst class this semester. It took up so much time, and I ended up with a B. I got A's in the rest of my classes, so I wasn't too happy with this. I'm still glad I took it, because I learned a lot, but I'm not happy with the grade. The second Graphic Design class was call Digital Drawing, and it focused exclusively on Illustrator.

In today's post I will show a few images I made from both of these classes.


This one was an assignment to use three instances of your first initial to create an image that was interesting to look at. I don't think my teacher was expecting me to make an actual picture out of them.

These instruments I created for an assignment to make a poster for a Jazz festival. I think my instruments turned out much better than the poster itself did.
This was an assignment to create a color wheel out of objects you found around the house, or anywhere really. This is not a very good representation of my work though, because something happened between my computer and the internet and the colors have been severely dulled. They were all much more brilliant than this when I uploaded the picture.


This was for an assignment using a set of statistics included with the curriculum to create an interesting graph. Illustrator can create basic graphs if you plug in the numbers, but the images I made myself. I started by finding photographs on the internet and using the "Live trace" feature in Illustrator and modifying them from there. It's a really fun way to make your own images.


This was for a project where we were to recreate the look of a Peit Mondrian painting using only text. For those of you who may not recognize the name Mondrian, you probably will at least recognize his work.


This was the painting that my image was based on.



One of our first assignments was to create a series of icons using some basic images for templates. These were mine. Most of them are basic universal symbols.


That was followed with an assignment to create 6 more icons for a park/nature reserve. We weren't given any images to use, just that they needed to represent Hiking, Horseback Riding, Mountain Climbing, Sailing, Swimming, and a Walking Trail. After some research on the internet, these were the designs I came up with.
This was an assignment to create a map using a hand drawn outline as a template and adding in some pre-made graphics, like the houses and trees.

This was an assignment to create a cereal box. The photos, outline, and a few basic elements were supplied, but I created the box itself. We did a pre-folded version, and used a 3D modeling feature to see what it would look like folded.

One of my final assignments was to create a cover for a non-existant book about the artist Paul Rand. He is the artist responsible for many many famous icons, some of which are still in use today, such as ABC, UPS, IBM, and more.


We also had to have it printed and used as the cover of a real book to see what it would look like if it were real.


This is not nearly everything I worked on, but these were the most interesting pieces. I don't think I'll do any more blogs on my graphic design projects, since most of the rest is kind of boring, but I still have more from other classes. Stay tuned. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment