Sunday, June 9, 2013

A Twist Ending: 4!

I've had a "Terrible Fate" for a bad customer rolling around in the back of my mind for awhile, and this week, when a whiny old bat threw a tantrum about not getting a senior discount, I decided she would be the perfect candidate to suffer this fate.

I've decided to pretty much do away with the "Death" aspect of the series. My Last Customer didn't deserve death, and this one really didn't either. She was just acting like a really big baby. Mainly, I just wanted to laugh in her face because she was acting so pathetic. I may decide in the future that some customers are terrible enough to deserve death, but for others, like today's, I decided to leave the ending a little ambiguous. You don't really know what this woman's ultimate fate is, but rest assured, it was terrible. *Maniacal Laugh* >:D

I have decided that I would scrap the "Under 200 words" rule I imposed upon myself after the first story I wrote for a writing contest, and just try to keep it between 2 and 3 hundred words instead. That way it's still a short story, but I've given myself some leverage if need be.

~

"Isn't there a senior discount?" The elderly woman asked sorely, as I gave her the total. It was under twenty dollars.

"I'm sorry, ma'am," I explained, "The senior discount is on Wednesdays." I didn’t think it would be that big of an issue, the discount would have amounted to less than a dollar.

"Well, not everyone can get here on Wednesdays!" She exclaimed angrily.

"Sorry," I apologized. "I'm not allowed to give discounts unless it's Wednesday,"

"Yeah, well, this place is sick!" She exclaimed, shoving the money towards me. "And getting sicker!"

I really didn't know what to say to that, so I finished her transaction, and wished her a nice day. She just looked at me and scornfully laughed in my face. I decided to just ignore that and I turned to the next customer, a little girl.

"Hello," I greeted her, as I began to ring up her items. "Did you find everything okay?

"No she didn't!" The elderly woman exclaimed loudly, and left, laughing derisively as the little girl just looked at me, confused.

As the old woman marched out of the store, the sky grew dark, and faint, raspy, “Caw!” sounds began filling the air. A massive flock of crows had filled the sky, temporarily blocking out the sun. The swarm got into formation and swooped down toward the old woman in a massive black cloud. The flock engulfed her, and as the crows disappeared over the horizon, the woman was gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment