Thursday, June 29, 2017

Throwback Thursday: Donna East

So I guess I'm jumping on the whole "Throwback Thursday" bandwagon. As you can see, I even made myself a logo, so you know it's serious. :p

For awhile now I've been thinking of doing posts about things I liked as a kid, or like, 5-10-15 years ago, any non-recent things. I tried to think of my own clever title. Wayback Wednesday, Flashback Friday, no, those were taken as well, and really, aren't they just cheap imitations of the real thing? I mean, if I'm going to do this, why not just go with the original. There's a reason it is the Internet's standard for all nostalgia-based social media postings. So Throwback Thursday it is.

This is not going to be a regular series. This is probably just going to be one of those things that I'm only going to post when I feel like it. As long as it's Thursday. And today I felt like it. Actually I felt like it a few days ago, but I waited for Thursday, because otherwise, what's the point of jumping on the trendwagon?

Anyway, today's post is about Donna East. "Who's Donna East?" you ask? Well, I suppose you can be forgiven for not knowing. After all she has less than ten videos on YouTube, and almost all of them were posted literally ten years ago. And that's probably when we watched them. I think it was either my Aunt Sherri or my cousins who first showed her videos to me. I think it started because there was a series of clean stand-up comedy DVDs that had gotten semi-popular in Christian circles called "Bananas." She was featured on one of them, and I know, especially Shaina, was really into those comedians for awhile. Here's a clip of her from that show if you're interested.



I think that led one of them to do some internetting, which eventually led them to her channel. And what they found would change our lives forever. Or not. Really, it just gave us a bunch of lines to quote for years to come, and taught us to call our fingers 'Phalanges.'



That one is probably the most quoted because of the 'Phalanges' line. Here's the second most quoted.



"Let's think about that for a moment, shall we?"

They're not all extremely quotable, but they are all insane. All of her characters seem to be completely out of their minds. And I love that about her. :p



This next one is probably her most insane character, and maybe her best. I saved it for last because it's probably my favorite. Well, Alice Coopers is probably my favorite too, but this one has a puppet with rage issues, and if you know me, you know how much I love insane puppets, so please don't make me choose. :p



Anyway, that's Donna East. The greatest comedian you've never heard of. Until now. I guess now that you've heard of her, that sentence no longer applies. She's still pretty great though!

According to her website, she's still out there, doing comedy somewhere. She makes live appearances, but she just doesn't have a very big online presence. And I really wish she did. She'd probably be one of my favorite YouTubers if she'd bring her act to the internet. I'd love an ongoing cooking show with Alice, or a weekly puppet rage show. I just need more of her characters! Donna! If you're out there! Please come back to YouTube! The world of the internet needs you!

No comments:

Post a Comment