Wednesday, September 29, 2010

College Collages

Well, yesterday we got our collages back from our design 1 class, so I thought I’d share them with you. This has been a multi-step process in learning about collages, so I’ll start off with the “Sketches” The main purpose of the collage exercise was to teach about perspective. The sketches we made first to demonstrate that we knew how you use the illusion of perspective correctly. This was kind of a no-brainer for me, but I suppose that it was helpful for some people.
scan0008
scan0009
scan0011
scan0010
The last one was a bit of a mistake, It was supposed to show linear perspective, but I misunderstood, so while it does show forms appearing to be going further away from each other, it doesn’t have them all lined up in a row converging to a point and disappearing into the distance.
And now what you’ve all been waiting for: The final projects!
The first one was supposed to show something real, something that looks like you could reach into the picture. I went in kind of my own direction with that, and made an object. It was technically what the project called for, but probably not what the teacher had in mind, still, he has told me that even if I don’t end up with exactly what the project is calling for, if he can see that I understand the concepts, but am unwilling to sacrifice the artwork for the exact specifications of the project, any points I might lose for that will be made up by the quality of the artwork. So even though this isn’t something that looks like an actual place, it was still a quality piece. I chose to make mine a fishbowl.
scan0012
I put my folder in the scanner on top of it, because otherwise you wouldn’t be able to tell that I actually made the bowl itself. Most people just used a square paper for their projects, but the ones that everyone picked out as being the best were ones that people had gone in a different direction with, and done something way different.
My other one was for the “Ambiguous collage” It was supposed to be representative of something unrealistic. I ended up giving myself a headache with this, because I did something that ended up a lot harder than I thought it would. I made a bird, out of birds. I thought it would be easy, but when I started gluing it together I realized I was wrong. It ended up taking probably three hours to finish, and that was only the gluing together. That’s not counting all the time it took to find all the pictures and cut them out, but I am pretty happy with the piece. On the day we turned them in, mine was one of only five chosen by the entire class as being the best, and it was one of two that got multiple votes.
scan0013
Sorry about the missing wing and tail tips, the scanner isn’t quite big enough.
So now that that project is complete we have started on our next one. This one I am not liking quite as much, but if it turns out good, by the end I think I will enjoy it a lot. We are working on making kites. The reason I am not really enjoying it is because I really know nothing about making kites. But that is the point of the exercise. He is not giving us anything to start with. We have to do all the research ourselves and build a working model. I’m afraid I’m going to put a ton of money and effort into this project and then have it fall out of the sky and smash. Thank goodness that Charlie Brown’s “Kite Eating Trees” aren’t real or I’d probably be scared of them too. In my research I have discovered something called Kite Arial Photography, where you attach a camera to a special kite and then use a remote to take pictures from the sky. I would love to be able to do that, but I’d be even more terrified of sending my kite up if I had a $500 camera attached. I’m still not sure what I am going to do. I really want to make an amazing kite, but if I try to do something too ambitious, it’ll be the bird collage all over, but instead of taking three hours, it’ll be impossible to finish. I’m thinking I should stick to something safe, but I still have that voice in the back of my head that says “Go for the ambitious project!” I always have high ambitions, but I end off biting off more than I can chew. I need to learn to scale back my ideas to something I know I can manage, and save the high concept ideas for when I’ve had experience with something easier.
Well, that’s what’s going on in my Design 1 class. I have some other stuff to share about my other classes, but I’m going to save that for later. I have some more research to do tonight on my kite project, and I probably should start getting ready for bed soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment