Monday, September 12, 2011

Garden Fresh Salsa

I could have posted this quite awhile ago, but I have been preoccupied with other things. See previous posts… Anyway, now that I am shifting my priorities, I am hoping that I will have more time to write and take pictures, as long as I’m caught up on school work of course. :)

I’ve posted a similar salsa recipe before, but I decided to do another one since it is that time of year when everyone is gathering in their crops, and they probably have a lot of produce to use.

Salsa is one of my favorite foods, and I came up with this recipe when I couldn’t find any really good salsas at the store. The best solution is to make your own.

August 090

The great thing about this recipe is that you can change it really easily depending on how much produce you have on hand or how big a batch you want to make.

I usually make a pretty big batch of salsa so it’ll last me a whole week. I like having it on hand since it an easy way to get more vegetables in my diet, plus it just tastes so good! Here’s how I made mine, but feel free to take this recipe and change it to make a huge batch for a party, or just use  a couple vegetables for a small batch for one meal.

August 072

Start with as much produce as you want. Tomatoes, Green Bell Peppers, Jalapeños, and Onions are the essentials. I used all garden fresh, both from our garden, and stuff dad brought home from his coworkers.

August 084

Um, well, it wasn’t quite ALL garden fresh… The onion came from the store…

August 071

I also added this thing. I’m not sure what kind of pepper it was, but I decided to use it in the salsa because dad brought it home in a bag of other vegetables, and I didn’t think anyone else was going to use it.

August 085

Remove all the blemishes, which you will most likely have if you’re using garden fresh vegetables, and core and peel everything. The only exception would be the jalapeños if you like it hot. If you leave the seeds in them it will make your salsa a lot hotter. Chop everything up into whatever size you like for your vegetables. I like a bit larger chunks for mine, but the jalapeños I chop up really fine so the heat gets spread around more evenly.

The last ingredient is picante sauce.

August 088

I use hot, but you can use mild or medium if you prefer.  Don’t add a whole lot if you’re making just a small batch, but if you’re making a lot you’ll want to add at least one jar, if not two, depending on just how big your batch is.

August 091

Mix it all together and you have garden fresh salsa. So much better than the store bought variety.

No comments:

Post a Comment