For our latest assignment in our Digital Photography class, we were to find an old photograph and restore it. It had to be a damaged photograph. It didn’t have to be very bad, but it had to have stuff that needed cleaning up. Folds, stains, dust, etc.
Well, I don’t know if we have any bad pictures around here, most of ours are in albums or envelopes, so I went to see my grandma to see if she had any old pictures that needed fixing. She did. I found a lot of old pictures in a box and I found some really badly damaged ones. But worst of all was this one.
As you can see it’s an ugly mess. I decided to go with this one. There are ones that I have that would be much easier to fix than this one, but I felt like a challenge. If you look at the picture you can see a whole lot of places that just a regular healing brush won’t fix. The one woman’s ear is completely gone, and huge chunks are gone from their coats. Plus the sky is a washed out mess, the photographer’s shadow is on the subjects, and they had their finger over the lens just a bit.
Well, it took me about three or four hours, but I finally got that picture to look like this.
It’s not perfect, but I can’t believe I got it looking as good as I did!
I still have a bunch more pictures, so I will post some more when I get around to fixing them.