Thursday, October 17, 2013

Ups and Downs

So, I've kind of gotten the feeling that until my post yesterday, everyone thought that I was having the time of my life at college. That everything was wonderful and life couldn't be better. Well, as you could tell from my last post, it isn't like that all the time. I don't usually like to be a downer so I usually try to make everything sound better than it is. Like everything in life, school has its ups and downs. Thankfully, at least for now, there are usually more ups than downs.

I am working on a post full of pictures from school, but as I was putting it together I found myself dwelling a bit too much on the bad surrounding one class than I wanted to. So, instead of bringing that post down, I thought I'd make a separate post about it, so that the other post can just be positive.

The bad this semester has diminished significantly since dropping the drawing class, but I still have a class that I am not having the greatest time with. I actually really like the class, it's very interesting, it's just there are things about it, that are very frustrating.

First of all, there is no book. You get no information other than what you copy down for notes. I hate trying to pay attention and write things down at the same time. I get the feeling that I'm missing half the information, trying to focus on two things at once.

The next thing is how the daily grades are given. Most of them come from an online quiz, which you have about a day-long window to do, so if you have to work, and you forget to do it, you're out of luck. There are no second chances.

The biggest problem with the class, is that the tests are completely essay, No True/False, no Multiple Choice, and you are not allowed to use notes. I was shocked that I got a C on my first test. I was expecting an F. I had an absolutely awful time with it. If I could have used my notes, I would have breezed right through it. I like writing, but I am terrible at remembering dates, names, and other trivial things without something to jog my memory.

I hate to say all this about the class, because I actually like it a lot. I've learned so many interesting things from it, it just that it is going to be practically impossible to get a good grade in it. Good for me anyway. I'm sure whatever I get there will be people who would see it as a good grade, but I am used to getting all A's and B's. In this class I'll feel lucky if I end up with a C.

But other than this class, right now everything else is pretty good. Even in the hardest of the other classes I think I'll probably get B's, and I think I'll be ok with that. A's would be awesome, but these classes are a lot harder than the ones I've had in the past, so I think I'll be ok with B's.

One thing I neglected to mention in my last post, another great thing that happened, was that I found out that one of the requirements in a Journalism degree is to take a statistics class. Not just a math class, a statistics class. Which I have already taken! I was ecstatic (On the inside) when I realized I would not have to take that again. I am now SO glad I took that awful class last year!

So that's all my negative news for now. I'll try to be more positive from now on. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment