Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Collages, A Group project, and Speech Class

I got my collages back that I was working on a few weeks ago. To refresh your memories I’ll put up my rough sketches again before I show the finished products.



These were all to be done in black and white. We had black and grey construction paper and white cardstock.
scan0006
scan0007
scan0008
For the one with the arithmetic symbols I wanted them to look 3D, but I wanted them to be white on a black background, so I cut out the symbols from a piece of black construction paper, and glued it to the cardstock. Then I used grey pieces to make it look 3D. For the last one I had to cut slits in the circles so I could link them into a chain, but I didn’t want the slits in the picture, so I glued them together in such a way so the slits would be hidden. It turned out better than I thought it would.
The project that we are working on now is a group project. Joel and I are thankfully together, and there are two others in our group. We were lucky to be allowed to pick out our own group members. Joel and I were a bit worried about it because there are a lot of people who just don’t show up for class. All the people in our group are people who are always there. The assignment was pretty broad. We can do anything we want as long as we each do a piece of art that goes together with everyone else's to create one composition. I suggested that since there were four of us we each do a different season. The girl in our group then suggested that we line up our drawings so that they make one long picture. I think it’s going to look really interesting, especially because the other guy is going to do collage. I am doing pens and markers, the girl is doing colored pencils, and Joel is doing pencils. We are thinking about having each medium sort of bleed into each other’s drawings, so it’s going to be interesting to see what it looks like when we finish.
It looks like we only have two weeks left of school! I’m not sure of the schedules for the other classes yet, but in my online Psychology, and our speech class it’s just two weeks. Next week we have to give our persuasive speeches. As you know I’m doing mine on the Loch Ness Monster. Last night I turned in my outline for the speech.

Jonathan North
11/23/10
Public Speaking
Topic: The Loch Ness Monster is Real!
Purpose: To convince the audience of the existence of the Loch Ness Monster.
Central Idea: For centuries there have been sightings of a creature in Loch Ness, and in other bodies of water around the world. There is something out there. Science just doesn’t know what it is.
Introduction
I. For hundreds of years there have been sightings of a creature in Loch Ness.
II. Something is in there!
Transition: What is it?
Body
I. It could be a plesiosaur.
II. There have been some photographs taken of it.
III. It might be an elaborate hoax.
III. Nesse is not the only creature that has been seen in large bodies of water.
IV. There have been creatures spotted in lakes right here in our own country.
V. Going back even further in time, sailors reported huge monsters at sea.
Transition: Now that you have more facts, what do you think?
Conclusion
I. Even if no one ever comes up with conclusive proof, it is still exciting to think of the possibility of something there, deep in the Loch.
 
I’m still not looking forward to it. I like the topic, I just don’t like speaking in front of people. Thankfully I have gotten to know everyone in the class, so it’s a little easier, but I still wouldn’t do it if I didn’t have to.
The last week we have to do a panel discussion. I was really glad that everyone in my panel agreed to my suggestion that we do cryptozoology. It will make it a lot easier because it’s another topic I am really interested in. We divided up our topics into four categories of cryptids, Myths that could be real, Out of place animals, extinct animals that could still be living, and former cryptids/myths that have now been proven to be real. I got extinct animals that could still be living for my area of expertise. That is my absolute favorite branch of cryptozoology, mainly because I have loved dinosaurs since I was a little kid, and the possibility that one or more might still be living is really exciting to me. I am not sure exactly how I am going to chronicle the panel discussion for my blog. It’s different than my other speeches. I always write out what I want to say beforehand, and then post that, but for the panel discussion, it’s more of an off the cuff discussion between me and four other classmates. I might see if it’s ok to film us. It’s going to be a long discussion though. We have to fill at least twenty minutes. If I do film it, I’ll probably have to split up the video. I think you tube has a time limit, and twenty minutes would probably be too much. Hopefully I’ll be able to do something. We’ll just have to see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment