Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Republisheep and Sheepocrats

Sheepocrats

I realize a lot of people won’t agree with me on this, but I want you to think about this before you vote today. I know a lot of you have probably already voted, but think about this picture anyway. I am not suggesting that everyone who aligns themselves to a particular party is automatically a sheep. But for a lot of people, probably the great majority of people, they get into the party that aligns with most of their beliefs, and then vote the party line with no thought or research on the candidates. I would call myself a Republican, since I agree with most of their basic policies, but I don't directly copy the party line when I vote. It is important that you do your own research instead of blindly following what the TV says, or who the main party heads endorse. Sadly, not many people do.

I wish that instead of having people in "Parties" the candidates would just state what they believe, and what they will do once elected. This would solve two problems. First, the candidates would have to be honest, because they are not trying to get a particular party of people to vote for them, and they won’t feel like they need to pretend to be someone they aren’t to get enough votes to win. Secondly, people would be forced to pay attention to what the candidates are saying, and make an informed decision when they vote. Right now people hear "Republican" or "Democrat" and they automatically assume they know everything there is to know about a candidate. It is true that you can tell a lot about a person based upon what party they align themselves to, but you don’t know everything. People are liars. It is human nature. It may sound harsh, and I don’t like saying it myself, because I want to believe otherwise, but it is EXTREMELY hard, if not downright impossible, to find a completely honest person. ESPECIALLY in politics.

So when you go to the polls today, make sure you know what the candidates stand for. Don’t just take the TV's word for it either. Do some basic research, because if you vote for someone based solely on the party they’re in, you’re a sheep too.

No comments:

Post a Comment