Thursday, May 18, 2017

Bohemian Rhapsody (On Repeat)



I considered making a post JUST for this next video, but I decided to turn it into an On Repeat post, because there have been quite a few amazing covers of this song over the years, and I wanted to feature a couple of my favorites, plus I wanted to see what else I could find, because I'm sure YouTube is full of amazing versions I've never heard before. But first up, the main attraction.

Last month, Pentatonix did something that fans have been begging them to do for literally years. Years! They covered Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody! While I have always LOVED the Muppets' take on this iconic song, I have to say, I think that Pentatonix might have just edged them out. Their version was so amazing! I was cheering, I was clapping, I was pumping my fist, I was basically behaving like a lunatic, and I am so glad that no one walked in on me, because I was IN to this song. I could go on and on about how much I loved it, but I think I've done that enough, you just need to go watch it for yourself.


Wasn't that AMAZING!? Mitch SINGING the guitar solo was probably the point were I first became the lunatic I described above. :p

When I watch the video for the first time and I realized where and how they were filming, I said to myself that I NEEDED them to release a behind the scenes video, and thankfully a few days later they did just that!


I mentioned it above, but up until PTX released their version, the Muppets version was the best version of this song that I had ever heard. It had everything great about the original song, but with 100% more Muppets! It is still so amazing, and still one of my favorite songs and videos of all time. To this day, I still think the Muppet version of the lyrics in my head, especially the end. "Nothing really matters... BUT MOI!!!!!!!!!"


I have a feeling that whenever I do an On Repeat post, Kurt Hugo Schneider will be featured. The guy seems to have an amazing cover for everything, and this song is no different.


Those were my favorite versions, not too many people cover this song on a regular basis, so I haven't built up a playlist or anything. I just thought it would be fun to look around YouTube and see what else I could find. I will say though, one of the problems with trying to find covers of this song is that everyone feels like it's too untouchable to do anything other than a straight up cover, so they all end up sounding too similar. I found a lot of great versions, but nothing that really made them stand out, like the ones I've already shared. Glee did a version a few years ago, Panic at the Disco did a version for last year's Suicide Squad movie, and they were great covers, I really liked them, but they sounded kind of a lot alike. By themselves, they were fantastic, but after listening to a whole bunch of covers in a row, they all start to blend together. Keeping that in mind, instead of just searching for covers, I decided to look specifically for less conventional versions.

So, let's move on to something completely different. I'll bet you've never heard the song like this before. :)


Hey! I just found an AMAZING orchestral version! I love this so much!


I had no idea that the Voca People had covered it! I love them! I love this! Theirs is more of a medley that uses Rhapsody as its framework, but it's still the whole song, and it's still great.


I COMPLETELY forgot the Mystery Guitar Man had covered it back in the day! That man had some of the best videos back then.


Ooh! And here's a really great string quartet version! I love YouTube! Where else could you go to see this song sung by weird aliens, then played on slide whistles and kazoos, and then performed beautifully by an amazing string quartet?


Hold.

Everything.

Weird Al did a POLKA VERSION!?!?!?!?

My life is now complete!!!! I can die happy!!!!! This is so amazing, I have no more words.


I think I'm going to have to end with this one. There is no possible way I can top that! It was just too pure, too amazing, too beautiful! Goodnight everybody!

Bonus Video! I saw this a couple days ago, and I decided I had to include it in this post. I love learning this kind of interesting behind the scenes information.

No comments:

Post a Comment