Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Keyboard-ectomy!

What do you do when your “N” key stops working?

Laptop 002

Take it to a repairman and spend maga dollars to get it fixed? Well, that’s what I was going to do… Until I decided to do it myself. I found a site on the internet that explained how to disassemble a laptop and from that I figured out what I would need to do to replace my keyboard all by myself. I bought a new one off of e-bay for around $20 and yesterday I performed surgery on my laptop.

Laptop 001Laptop 003

If you attempt such a feat, remove all sources of electricity so you don’t get fried.

Laptop 005Laptop 006

I took off this panel only, because I needed to get to the screw underneath.

Laptop 007Laptop 009

Then I took out that screw and these two. All clearly marked with a keyboard symbol.

Laptop 010

I was very glad I had these little magnetic balls so I could get the screws out and keep them from rolling away and getting lost.

Laptop 016

Then I had to pry out the old keyboard.

Laptop 019Laptop 027

This had to be carefully removed and replaced. It’s stuck in there tight and the brown pins have to be moved just slightly so it will let go. This was what I was most nervous about messing with, but it turned out fine.

Laptop 028

Then just do everything in reverse and it’s good as new! The transplant was a success! Except this keyboard is kind of coppery, and my other one was black. Oh well. At least I didn’t have to pay a couple hundred for repairs! Open-mouthed smile

No comments:

Post a Comment