Monday, January 9, 2012

Nerd Party!

Before I go any further, I just need to say… 300TH POST!!!!!!! Ahem. That’s all. :)

So. A nerd party. Yeah. That’s something I’ve never done before. :) Normally you would not find me doing anything like this. And if it were a public event, there’s probably no way you’d catch me going out in a crazy costume, to mingle with other nerds. I would just feel way too weird. But this was just a party of friends, so I figured, why not. :)

Robert and Rachel Swensen have been hosting a weekly movie night at their house for the last few months. The movies are all Christian themed, and cover a wide variety of topics, like Salvation, Creation, Abortion, and once in awhile a Christian comedian thrown in for good measure. :)

A couple months ago Rachel came up with the idea of having a “Nerd Party” one night, and instead of just watching a movie, we’d have a whole night based around The Lord of the Rings and The Chronicles of Narnia. Everyone would come in costume and we’d have themed foods, and watch a movie.

So finally a date was set for the 27th of December. The only problem was finding a costume. I could not find a whole elaborate costume to wear, so I went with my normal clothes, and bought an Elven Cloak, and an Elven Brooch to wear with it. I ended up getting a really good deal on ebay, so it didn’t cost me too much, which is always a good thing. I went as a “Modern” Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings.

After most of us had arrived, Rachel took a group shot, so here we are. :)

December 082

I also decked out my backpack to add to the “Modern-ness” but still staying in character as Sam. He always had his pots and pans on a bedroll, plus his elven rope.

December 098

I have a feeling that “Real” nerds would shun us all as not being authentic enough, but I’m sure that none of us would care too much. We still had fun. :)

December 074

Joel actually made his own cloak. He sewed it by hand!

December 075

Joel also made Shaina’s headband for her.

December 076

This would definitely not count as an authentic Lord of the Rings Weapon. :)

December 078

Rachel probably had the most authentic looking costume of all of us. But I’m not sure her method of cooking was very authentic. :)

December 080

December 081

Sonia was an orc, and Skyler was a faun. Thankfully he chose not to dress exactly as the Narnian fauns. :)

December 092

Alex French and Nathan Brace came after we had taken the group shot. Alex had never watched the Lord of the Rings, so she didn’t wear a costume, and Nathan also dressed as a faun. Specifically Mr. Tumnus. Though I’m not sure Mr. Tumnus had green fur… :p

December 084

December 085

We watched the extended version of The Return of the King, which is over four hours, then we visited.

December 088

And played with toys. :)

December 077

Rachel is entertaining the idea of another themed party sometime in the future, so we may be doing this again. :)

3 comments:

  1. All very well described, except for the fact that Alex WAS in costume. It was just the best she could do. :) Didn't you notice the strand of silver around her forehead, and the way she layered her clothes like I did?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I just thought she was wearing a really nice dress. I didn't realize that it was a costume. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish I could have been there! You all look awesome... I really like the guy's costume--the one who went as a faun... course they're all pretty sweet... your cloaks are awesome! You all had admirably long attention spans to get through that movie, though I don't know how everyone doesn't love them.

    ReplyDelete