Friday, July 13, 2012

Oz: The Great and Powerful

What is it about magical worlds that captivate me so much? Wonderland, Narnia, Neverland, Middle Earth. If it's a world where weird stuff happens, I'm there, and I love it. One of my favorite magical lands is getting another reimagining next year, and it looks AMAZING!


No, this is not a new version of "The Wizard of Oz." This is a completely different story altogether! This Oz is about the Wizard, before he was the Wizard. How he came to Oz from our world, and how he eventually came to be the Wizard.



I can't wait for this movie! I completely geeked out when I realized that they were switching aspect ratios in the middle of the film, having the first part in our world be in Black and White, and Full Screen, and then switching to Color and Widescreen once he gets to Oz. Yeah, that's a completely nerdy thing to get excited about, but I don't care, I LOVE the idea! If it goes well, I hope that they keep going and turn this into a whole franchise, following the entire book series.

When I was little, I really liked the 1930's MGM version of the Wizard of Oz. I remember the first time I found it at the library, Mom didn't want to get it for me because she thought it would scare me. Apparently she was wrong about that though, because eventually she did check it out for me, and I remember watching it multiple times growing up.

When I was older, I looked for the book and checked it out from the library to read. I read the book and I loved it. And even though I will always "Really Like," the 1930's Wizard of Oz, I've always held a *Very, very mild* grudge against it for straying so far from the book.

The Oz pictured in this trailer looks absolutely amazing, and I would love to see a more faithful adaptation of the book set in this version of Oz.

Even though I loved The Wizard of Oz as a kid, I am slightly ashamed to admit that I never read the entire series. The library didn't have any of the other books, and I never thought about trying to find them. Why, I don't know. The Wizard of Oz was always one of my favorite books, I even bought my own copy of it with my own money once, back when I hardly had any money of my own. (Not that I do these days either. :p) But for some reason, I never tried to find the rest of them to read. That will change soon, though. I found the entire series available for download on Kindle, for only about $12, and I bought it immediately. I plan to have the whole thing read by the time Oz: The Great and Powerful is released.

No comments:

Post a Comment