Tuesday, July 3, 2012

WAAA!!! Facebook Changed Something!!!

Warning! Warning! Sarcasm Ahead! People who are unable to understand the clear difference between sincere outrage, and sarcasm used to humorously prove a point, should turn back now, or risk hurt feelings, raised blood pressure, and maybe a really bad diaper rash. You have been warned.

A few days ago, with great weeping, wailing, and gnashing of teeth, the people of the internet cried out against Facebook for "Secretly changing their e-mail" as though Facebook had just committed some unspeakably evil act against them. As I usually do when such outcries arise, I rolled my eyes and moved on with my life.

Yesterday I clicked on my personal page, which I had not done for quite some time, and was met with a message that TOLD ME IN PLAIN ENGLISH that my display e-mail address had been changed. I typed that address into an e-mail and sent myself a message at the new address just to see what would happen. The address they now display sends a message to your messages folder on Facebook.

If you choose to do so, you can replace the Facebook address with your personal e-mail address for the entire world to see, but for me I think the new address idea is great. Maybe I don't want every creepy little internet stalker who wanders by my Facebook page to know my real e-mail address.

Facebook was not keeping this change a secret, it's just that no one had bothered to go to their own homepage and find the message. They just saw the alarmed outcries plastered all over their friends walls and blindly proceeded to re-post them. It was yet another manufactured outrage over nothing. Furthermore, the change was to protect the user's privacy, should they choose not to give out their real e-mail address. What, may I ask, is wrong with that?

Good gravy, internet. Get over yourself.

Kind of, but not really Sincerely,
Jonathan North

No comments:

Post a Comment