Wednesday, August 22, 2012

School News and More

School has started again, so I don't expect I'll be able to do a whole lot of blogging. I have a whole bunch of posts started, it's just finding time to finish them that's the problem. This is my final semester at Iowa Western. After this I am not sure where I will be going. Sometime soon Joel and I will be talking to one of our teachers to discuss our options.

Mondays and Wednesdays Joel and I have Typography and Digital Imaging. Digital Imaging is basically a fancy way of saying Photoshop. It's a different kind of Photoshop class than the one we took before, this one is more for graphic designers, but we figured it would be beneficial to take it. I think we'll learn a lot of valuable things.

Typography is taught by the same teacher as last semester's Illustrator class. She's a really good teacher. A lot more relatable than most. This is another Graphic design class, but I think it's important to understand the fundamentals of type, because in some cases, words are just as important to art as pictures are. Graphic design is sure to come into play in our lives sometime in the future, even if that's not our ultimate career goal, so the more we know the better.

We also have... Math. 4 DAYS A WEEK! This is beyond horrific. I thought that by choosing an online statistics class we'd be getting by easy and we'd be able to do the lessons whenever we want. Well, technically we still can, but only if we work so far in advance that we beat the deadlines. Not cool online teacher, not cool. Aside from this, the statistics class has not been too terrible. So far it's actually been pretty easy, and most of the questions have been more common sense questions than actual math problems. Let's hope it stays this way, but I'm not holding my breath.

Friday we have a "Studio Practices" class. What this means I'm not quite sure yet. It's almost an experimental class that one of our art teachers is starting. its purpose is to prepare students for a career in their field of art work. This is the first time anything like this has ever been offered at Iowa Western, and from the looks of it, Joel and I are the only two students in the class. Hopefully this class will be a lot of fun.

I alone have one other online class which starts next week, Photography 2. It is taught by the same teacher as the Studio Practices class, but it all happens over the internet. He wants to get it changed to an "In Class" class, but so far he has been unsuccessful in convincing the Dean to let him do so.

That's all my school news for now. I'll try to keep my blog updated if there's any big new developments, but I will probably have a lot of homework, so don't expect too much.

In unrelated news, I now have my Hunger Games Blu-Ray, but as you can probably tell from what I just wrote, I am very busy, so finding the time to sit down and watch a whole movie by myself without interruptions like school, or homework, or work will be kind of a challenge, so don't expect a review any time soon. I also just got two of my favorite movies from when I was a kid "The Rescuers," and "The Rescuers Down Under" and I thought it would be fun to do a review of them as well, but who knows when that will happen...

This weekend, when Joel and I get out of class, we will be off on a weekend road trip with our friends to both Worlds of Fun and Oceans of Fun. This could be a time of great fun or unimaginable terror. :p

My family never went to places like this when I was a kid, so I have not had any experience with thrill rides. A few years ago I road a single roller coaster and it was not fun at all. It was a wooden roller coaster, and it was a bone jarringly painful experience. I have been repeatedly told that that particular roller coaster was a terrible first roller coaster to go on, and I should not let that experience taint my perception of what most roller coasters are actually like. I am told I should try a different one that is not made of wood as it will be a lot smoother.

I hope they are right, because I really want to be the kind of person who likes going on thrill rides. I probably just need some good old-fashioned peer pressure to make me get on one. :p I think I will have a few people like that with me on this trip. :) I just hope we start out with something easy and work our way up to a roller coaster. I really don't want to get there and just go directly to the most extreme coaster and just jump right on without getting used to the others first.

Well, that's all for now. If I don't die this weekend, I will blog about the experience. :p

No comments:

Post a Comment