Wednesday, September 5, 2012

An Epic "Rap"it Trail

Sorry about the title. That was SO cheesy. I promise never to do it again. Probably. Maybe. :p

This video from Lindsey Stirling was what inspired me to write yesterday's Rabbit Trail post in the first place, but as happens to me a lot these days, I start writing about one thing, "Rabbit Trail" onto another, and then I end up splitting the posts up.

If you are like me, and watch more YouTube than TV, you will notice a LOT of familiar faces in this video. Most notably to me was Joe Penna, AKA MysteryGuitarMan. That was an unexpected and very welcome surprise. :)

This video is a collaboration with >Gasp of Horror< a Rapper! Shock! Boo! Hiss! Yay? I really can't believe I'm saying this about a rapper, but the guy is pretty awesome.



Over the last year or so, thanks to YouTube, I have come to realize that what is out there as "Main-Stream" rap, is not indicative of all rap as a genre. When people talk about rappers, they are usually referring to the "Thugs" who cuss up a storm, yell about all the perversions of their lives, defame women, and yammer on and on about their >Gag< "Bling". This is not always the case, and the rappers of YouTube are so much different and better than the ones of the radio. The world would be so much better if artists like this guy were what came to mind when someone said "Rapper."

To illustrate "Tolerable" even "Good" rap I found some more great collaboration videos that feature in at least one part a rap verse. First up is a collaboration between Peter Hollens and Eppic on Ellie Goulding's "Lights." It is not a rap song, but Eppic is a rapper, so they added a rap verse. Peter's version, in my opinion, is better than the original.



Another one is this collaboration between MysteryGuitarMan and DeStorm.



And this one.



Sometimes I like finding out that what I thought I knew was wrong. I've always "Known" how evil rap was, but I am really glad to know now that rap itself is not evil, some people just use it for, >Ahem< Less than pure purposes.

To end this post I will share the very first "Rap" song I ever liked. This could be the first time I ever gave any thought to the fact that what I've always "Known" about rap might be wrong. Is it any surprise that it's an Owl City song? :p

No comments:

Post a Comment