Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Macaroni and Cheese Salad

This is one of my absolute favorite things to make, so I don’t know why I haven’t blogged it sooner. If this salad were drugs, I’d be an addict.

August 041

I’m getting hungry just looking at this picture…

First make a box of macaroni and cheese according to the directions on the box, and as soon as you are done while it’s still hot, add a small bag, about 12 ounces of frozen peas.

August 040

You can do this step at any time, but I usually start with this and work on the macaroni and cheese all throughout the preparation of the other ingredients. When you’re done let it sit until you have finished the rest of the salad. This is so that the frozen peas will thaw, and so that the macaroni and cheese will cool down.

August 028

To start the rest of the salad, you begin by grating about half an onion into a large mixing bowl.You can do more or less depending on how much you like onion.

August 029

Then 3/4 cup of Salad Dressing or Mayonnaise.

August 031

Then about half a cup of chopped celery. I usually use two stalks, but you can do more if you want the salad really crunchy.

August 032

Then add a half a teaspoon of salt

August 035

And grate in 6 hard boiled eggs. Please excuse the awful picture, these are farm fresh eggs, and for some reason they do not peel well at all.

August 037

Then add approximately 1 – 1 1/2 cups of cubed cheese. You can use pre-cubed or shredded cheese if you want, but I prefer to make tiny cubes myself, because I like the texture, and the pre-cubed chunks from the store are way too big for my liking. I used Pepper Jack cheese, which is good, but this recipe is best when you use sharp cheddar. I didn’t have any, so I made do with what I could find.

August 038

Then stir all this together.

August 039

The final step is to add the now cool Macaroni and Peas. Stir it all together and you just made the most amazing pasta salad the world will ever know.

August 042

I’d better go find something else to do before I start gnawing on my computer screen…

No comments:

Post a Comment