Friday, July 22, 2011

Why I Don’t Share EVERY Photo

Yesterday on my photo blog I posted some pictures that I found kind of odd. Just a random assortment of pictures that normally I would not choose to feature. That’s not to say they were bad, they just weren’t what I’d call my best ones. I just felt like trying something a little different for a change. If you didn’t get a chance to see it you can find that post by clicking HERE.

I always share my posts to facebook, since most people don’t have blogger accounts, and don’t want to open one just to follow one blog, so I use facebook to notify people when I post, and this lets people comment, since you need to have a blogger account in order to comment. In the post I asked for feedback as to if I should do more posts like that one and I got this reply on facebook.

Facebook1

While I understand that some might think that seeing every single picture a photographer takes would be cool, I think you ought to know, it really isn’t. Every photographer, even the best of the best (Which I am not) shoots hundreds of thousands of pictures that will never see the light of day. And with good reason. They just aren’t worth looking at. A good photographer knows that in order to get one good shot, you’re going to have to take many, many, many bad ones. People have many misconceptions about professional photographers. They just assume that they can take one shot and Bam! Magazine-Worthy Gold! If only this were true! Photography is all about trying different things, seeing what works and what doesn’t. Sometimes, especially in the case of shooting animals, it also involves just taking as many pictures as you think necessary to get just one that you can pick out as the best. Which is what I do. I just shoot a whole bunch of pictures in a row and when I get home I go through them and pick out the best ones to use for my blogs.

Today I thought I’d show you just why I don’t publish EVERY photo I take. You’d be bored out of your mind by the time you were done looking at them.

In order to save upload time (For me) and download time (For you) I’m just going to upload really small versions. Some of them I will deem good enough for my Photo blog so you will get a chance to see larger versions of a few of these later on. For now, here are the unedited versions, before I’ve gone through picked out the good ones, prettied them up, and weeded out the redundant and just plain bad ones.

This is (One of?) the zebras. This is the first time I have seen any of the zebras in years. I am pretty sure they have more, but this was the only one out there this month. They spend a lot of time out of sight where it’s shady and cool. So far I’ve always been disappointed when I go to see them, so I was happy to see at least one this time. I’ll check back next month and maybe the rest will be there.

Okay, here is why you don’t want me to share every single picture I take. And please excuse the quality, like I said these are unedited and the lighting was HARSH that day. It was so hot. You can probably tell this zebra was pretty miserable.

Zoo5 025

Zoo5 026

Zoo5 027

Zoo5 028

Zoo5 029

Zoo5 030

Zoo5 031

Zoo5 032

Zoo5 033

Zoo5 034

Zoo5 035

Zoo5 036

Zoo5 037

Zoo5 038

Zoo5 039

Zoo5 040

Zoo5 041

Zoo5 042

Zoo5 044

Zoo5 045

Zoo5 046

Zoo5 047

Zoo5 048

Zoo5 049

Zoo5 050

Zoo5 051

Zoo5 052

Zoo5 053

Zoo5 054

Zoo5 055

Zoo5 056

Zoo5 057

Zoo5 058

Zoo5 059

Zoo5 060

Zoo5 061

Zoo5 062

Zoo5 063

Zoo5 064

Zoo5 065

Zoo5 067

Zoo5 068

Zoo5 069

Zoo5 070

Zoo5 071

Zoo5 072

Zoo5 073

Zoo5 074

Zoo5 075

Zoo5 076

So there you have it. And this is just an example from ONE animal. Think of how many different types of animals I take pictures of. Think about how many different flowers I take pictures of. Think about everything I share on here. Do you really want all my blog posts to look like this one? :p I didn’t think so. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment