Thursday, December 29, 2011

Dark Humor

I’ve always had a thing for dark humor. A small thing, but a thing nonetheless. I never knew why. Until recently. I figured it out. Why do I think that death can be so funny sometimes? What was it in my past that causes me to find humor in things that other people might find gruesome?
3 words.
Calvin and Hobbes.
I am a member on the Go Comics web site, so I get a comics page e-mailed to me every day. One of the comics I get sent is repeats of Calvin and Hobbes strips. This was the one they sent me a few days ago. I definitely remember this one from when I was little. I would imagine that reading this back when I was about 6 or so would most likely affect what kinds of humor I would find funny later in life.
Calvin
I miss Calvin. :) I loved reading his adventures over and over when I was a little kid. Of course that wasn’t the only thing I read, I also read a ton of Garfield, Peanuts, Luann, FoxTrot, and The Family Circus, The old ones, not the saccharinely sweet ones of today. I still remember one in particular that always made me laugh.
“Raisins are so dead grapes! Aren’t they Mommy!?”
And of course, probably the reason for my love of all things random, (See Blog Title :) ) was the library’s collection of “The Far Side” books. I had a very balanced humor diet as a child. Not too dark, not too sweet. :) But the dark side of my funny bone definitely had to have come from Calvin and Hobbes. :)
Now if you’ll excuse me. I need to go figure out where all my old Calvin and Hobbes Treasury books went to. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment