Friday, December 17, 2010

“Fowl” Vegetable Soup

Tonight mom was busy since today was her grocery day and she asked me to help with supper. We have all been really sick, so soup sounded good to everyone. Mom’s original idea was to have Chicken Noodle Soup because she had some leftover chicken that needed to be used up, and two cans of really old chicken broth that she found in the store room. I decided that it might be better to do a vegetable soup since I always do big batches of soup, and noodles tend to deteriorate fast in leftover soup. First mom dumped in her Chicken broth, she used a box as well as her two cans.
December '10 107
I chopped up a lot of vegetables next.
December '10 113
I used two small/medium onions, since we didn’t have any big ones.
December '10 115
I’m not really sure how much celery I did, I wanted to use up the rest of the bunch.
December '10 116
I did four big carrots, but with the size of the batch of soup we ended up with I easily could have doubled that.
These all needed to be cooked first, so if anyone out there wants to make a similar soup, heat this all to boiling, and then cook it for ten minutes.
December '10 109
At this point we added the cans of chicken - we did not drain them - and the leftover chicken. But, as mom was tearing it up, she asked me what it smelled like. We are pretty sure it was actually turkey, hence the reason I called the soup “Fowl” Vegetable Soup. It wasn’t completely chicken.
We also added two cans of corn, also not drained.
December '10 117
We then added three cans of mushrooms. These we didn’t drain either. Mom commented that she thought it needed more mushrooms and I agreed.
December '10 112
As these were heating to boiling I added some spices.
December '10 118
A couple teaspoons of minced garlic.
December '10 120
A generous amount of parsley flakes. I just shook a lot in, I never measured it.
December '10 121
Same with the sage, just add whatever looks good to you.
December '10 122
Then I finished up with salt and pepper. Again, no specific amount.
December '10 111
As we cooked the vegetables we washed two cans of black beans. You don’t have to if you don’t want to, I just do it because I don’t want to add the black syrupy stuff to the soup. Once the vegetables have cooked, add the beans.
December '10 110
Then we added two cans of peas, and two cans of green beans, with the liquid.
December '10 114
Heat this thoroughly and serve.
December '10 123
It was really good. Smile

No comments:

Post a Comment