Thursday, December 9, 2010

Tuna Salad/Cracker Dip

It has been a long time since I’ve posted a recipe. That’s mainly because it’s been a long time since I’ve cooked anything. One doesn’t have much time for culinary innovations when you’re trying to go to art school. I don’t think I’ve really creatively cooked anything since I went back to school.

Tuesday night was our speech class, and we had decided that since it was our last night, we were going to bring food. I wanted to make sure I brought something that was both good, and good for you, because, generally when people do these sort of get togethers, there isn’t much to choose from by way of healthy foods. I have recently started eating a lot healthier than I ever have in my life, and one of the things that I have started to buy at work is whole grain crackers and single serve tuna salads to spread on the crackers. I decided to invent my own version of that tuna salad to make a cracker spread to take along to speech class. When I started to open the tuna, I thought of my blog, and how long it had been since I had done a food related post, so I started taking pictures as I did each step, so I could share the recipe here.

It turned out really good, and it doesn’t have to be limited to a dip or spread, you could use this on a  sandwich or a wrap, or even put it in a lettuce or spinach salad.

Okay, first off, is the most important ingredient. Tuna. I used three cans.

December '10 025

Next I used one can of sliced Water Chestnuts.

December '10 026

These I cut up into little cubes before adding them into the tuna.

December '10 027

Then I added celery.

December '10 028

I used what was left in the package, which I suppose equaled around two full stalks, but I think it could have used a little more. I diced this up too.

December '10 031

Then to bind it all together I added salad dressing and sweet pickle relish. I don’t use exact measurements on ingredients like these, I just add some, and keep adding it till I get the consistency I want.

December '10 032

Once it’s all mixed I add black pepper. I didn’t add much, because you never know who might take offence to something overly spicy. Personally I would have added more than I did if it were for just me.

December '10 033

Mix that in and it’s done!

December '10 034

Yeah, you’ll have to forgive the photos, I’m not a professional food photographer.

December '10 037

I like Kashi crackers for this, but also any cracker that has herbs and spices in them. Garden Vegetable Wheat Thins, or Garlic and Herb crackers are also really good.

December '10 036

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment